Sometime during our crazy June heat wave I decided there was no way I was going to turn on the stove or the oven…but we still needed to eat dinner. What to do? Not another night of takeout and I was so matted down with sweat that I didn’t want to go out, so I created a yummy cold soup with what we had on hand.
- 2 pounds tomatoes - cored and quartered
- 1/2 cup V8 juice
- 1/4 cup fresh OJ (I juiced my own)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro - chopped and extras for garnish
- 1 t Agave
- 1/4 t White Pepper
- Salt - to taste
- Whip out your blender (a food processor would work perfectly too!)
- Throw everything into the blender.
- Turn the blender on for 1 minute.
- Add water if you would like to thin the soup a little.
- If you don't like texture or seeds or chunks, you may wish to strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer. Personally, I like a little texture.
- Chill the soup for 1 or more hours.
- Serve in bowls with cilantro sprigs as garnish.
This is one of the easiest soups I’ve ever made. It’s totally fresh, delicious, and so perfect for those heat wave days! If you have a little bread on hand, some nice crusty bread or garlic bread is a nice compliment too.