This is one of my favorite summer recipes; it’s quick and easy and looks great in a glass bowl. I just made this for our neighborhood 4th of July party last week and – if I dare say so myself – it was the best thing there (though I am comparing this to two platters of chicken wings and a few bags of chips).
- 1 pint Grape Tomatoes - halved
- 1 cup Corn - fresh or frozen
- 1 15-oz can Black Beans - drained and rinsed
- 2 T Taco Seasoning
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper (more if you want it spicier)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro - roughly chopped
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients except the cilantro.
- Tear off a length of aluminum foil about 12-16" long. Visually find the middle mark of the foil - this is where you'll fold it in half in a minute - and carefully dump (oxymoron?) the mixture onto the foil on one half of the foil.
- Flip the empty half of the foil over the salad mixture and roll up the edges of the foil tightly - so no juices can escape. It's going to look like a big aluminum Cornish pastie.
- Here's where you have cooking options. Until this summer I have never owned a grill so I used a little electric grill named after a famous ex-boxing champion, no, I refuse to drop names here. OR you can use a gas or charcoal grill if you have one.
- Place the foil package on the grill for about 10 minutes, no need to flip, we're just getting it nice and hot here.
- Remove the foil package from the grill and let it cool for a few minutes, it's going to be hot and will spew hot steam at your hands like some sort of angry dragon if you tear it open immediately.
- Once you've opened the salad, carefully dump it into a bowl - the one you originally mixed it up in or a new one, I like to recycle dishes so there's less to clean up later.
- Then sprinkle the top with cilantro.
I serve this salad warm, but if I ever had any left overs I would probably be able to tell you that it’s good cold too. You also might want to sprinkle some vegan cheese over the top, if you like that sort of thing.
Double the recipe for parties!